The privacy of users of and visitors to the website of Autism Association of South Australia Limited trading as Autism SA (Autism SA) located at www.imsocial.org.au (Website) is afforded the highest level of importance by Autism SA.
Autism SA is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) regarding the manner in which we handle your personal information made available to us through the Website, and we will strictly comply with all relevant legislative requirements.
What kinds of personal information do we collect?
The kinds of personal information that we may collect through the Website and hold from time to time includes:
- your contact information, including postal and residential addresses, telephone and facsimile numbers, and email addresses;
- data relating to your activity on our websites via tracking technologies such as cookies; and
- financial information about you, such as your credit card information or bank account details.
How do we collect and hold personal information?
We will only collect personal information where it is reasonably necessary to do so for the conduct of our business. Any collection of personal information by us will be fair and lawful and will not be intrusive.
We will collect personal information about you in the following ways:
- if you submit your information through our Website, including if you formally register a user account to access certain paid features of our Website;
- if you access the Website or use it, through cookies or other technologies incorporated into the Website and its functionality;
- if you provide your information by telephone, post, email or facsimile, or in person;
- if you contact us via email or otherwise; and/or
- if you make a payment to us through any online facilities available on our website from time to time.
If it is reasonable and practical do so, we will collect personal information about you only from you. In the course of operating the Website or our business more generally, however, we may collect personal information about you from third parties such as other Website users, suppliers, advertisers, mailing lists, clients and business partners.
If we collect personal information about you from a third party we will, where appropriate, request that the third party inform you that we are holding such information, how we will use and disclose it, and that you may contact us to gain access to and correct and update the information.
When we collect personal information from you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you or ensure you are aware of:
- our identity and contact details;
- that we have collected your personal information, and whether that collect is required or authorised by law;
- the purposes of collection;
- the consequences if personal information is not collected (such as if this will affect our ability to provide access to the Website or certain features or functionality available through the Website);
- our usual disclosures of personal information of the kind collected;
- whether we are likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, and if practicable, the relevant countries in which they are located.
How do we hold personal information?
We will hold personal information as either physical records, electronic records on our servers, and in some cases, electronic records on third party servers, which may be located overseas.
We take active steps to hold all hard copy and electronic records of personal information in a secure manner to ensure that they are protected from misuse, interference and loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We have procedures in place to destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
Purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
In general, Autism SA will collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the purposes of operating the Website and its functionality, and providing or offering goods and services to you, including through the Website.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us using and disclosing your personal information for the following purposes:
- operating the Website;
- providing you with news and information about our services;
- sending you marketing and promotional material that we believe you may be interested in, either from us, any of our related entities or a third party business which we consider may be of interest to you; and
- personalising your experience with our services, for example, via connectivity with social media services.
You may opt out of receiving marketing and promotional material from Autism SA at any time by contacting our Privacy Officer, using the contact details set out below.
There may be circumstances in which we are authorised or required by law to use or disclose your personal information. For instance:
- A number of laws require the provision of personal information to third parties, including the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). The precise information required to be provided will vary depending on the circumstances requiring disclosure of that information.
- We may also use or disclose personal information about you to avoid, lessen or prevent a serious emergency or crime. If we use or disclose personal information about you in those circumstances we will make a written record of such use or disclosure.
We may disclose personal information between our associated entities or to third parties such as our suppliers or our professional advisors, where permitted by the Act.
Any disclosure that is required to be made to any third party will be made primarily for the purpose of enabling us to operate the Website or our business of delivering services to clients and obtaining funding for our business activities. If we disclose information to a third party, we generally require that the third party protect information to the same extent that we do.
How can you access your personal information?
You have a right to request access to your personal information and to request its correction if it is out of date or incorrect.
You may request access or correction at any time by sending a written request to our Privacy Officer via the contact details set out below.
You do not need to provide a reason for your request for access to your personal information. We will not charge you to correct your personal information that we hold in our records.
We will respond to all requests for access to or correction of personal information within a reasonable time.
Please note there may be circumstances in which we are not able to provide you with access to your information, such as where the requested access will have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of others or where we are required by law to withhold the information. If we are unable to provide you with access to your information, or make the amendments which you have requested, we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
If you believe that we may have breached the Australian Privacy Principles, or failed to comply with this policy, you may direct your complaint to our Privacy Officer, using the contact details set out below.
We take all complaints seriously, and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner as follows:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992
Cross Border Disclosures of Information
Autism SA may disclose personal information between its related bodies corporate (if any) where permitted by the Act.
By providing personal information to Autism SA, you consent to Autism SA disclosing that personal information to any such overseas recipients for purposes necessary or useful in the course of operating our business, and agree that APP 8.1 will not apply to such disclosures. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that an overseas recipient breaches the Australian Privacy Principles, that entity will not be bound by, and you will not be able seek redress under, the Act.
If you do not want us to disclose your information to overseas recipients, please let us know.
Where practicable, we are required to provide the option for you to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym. This option will not be available where we are required or authorised by law to deal with individuals who have identified themselves, or if we need to verify your identity in order to provide products or services to you. This includes providing certain features of the Website to you.
Our Privacy Officer can be contacted as follows:
Privacy Officer, Autism SA
Physical address: 1/262 Marion Road, Netley SA 5037
Postal address: PO Box 304, Marleston DC SA 5033
Phone: 08 8379 6976
Fax: 08 8338 1216